Anti-slip floor treatment service
- Any floor surface that is slippery-when-wet can be made safe through an anti-slip floor treatment
- This can reduce risk by up to 500,000X:
- from 1 in 2 people being exposed to the risk of a slip-and-fall accident to 1 in 1,000,000
- A wet floor does not always need to be a slippery floor
- Our team has been making wet floors safe for a combined 100+ years
- We are trusted by insurers, lawyers, floor suppliers, architects and others to make - and keep - floors safe, even when wet
Proof, not promises
We’ve applied anti-slip floor treatments to over 1,000 floors in the last three years. This typically reduces accidents by 50%+.
- From swimming pool surrounds to restaurant kitchens, from train stations to hotel bathtubs and shower trays, from shopping centres to exterior decking and of course washrooms and receptions or entrance lobbies
- Anti-slip treatments work well for schools, hospitals, airports, factories – really, anywhere where floors become wet or contaminated
- Our founder, Christian Harris, is shortly releasing his book, Slipology; hosts the Safety & Risk Success Podcast; has acted on high-profile court cases as an expert witness
- Our team, led by ops director Margus Saarkeoks, predominantly comes from the 5* hospitality sector. We know what excellence in service delivery is and that’s what we deliver
- A scientific, evidence-based approach is fundamental to how we support clients. We source the best anti-slip treatment products, couple this with our delivery expertise, and quantify all our results with HSE-approved pendulum slip testing
- Our work supporting clients, insurance companies, brokers and lawyers has prevented over £30m of slip-and-fall insurance claims
Need help with an anti-slip treatment?
Call us today for a free quote!
Why would an anti-slip floor treatment be needed?
Slippery-when-wet floors are a major contributor to slip-and-fall accidents. There are six factors that could cause someone to slip, which we have deconstructed into our CHIMES model:
The floor surface is arguably the most important. If you have a safe-when-wet floor then you can withstand many of the other CHIMES not being as good as they might be. But a slippery-when-wet floor leaves you with an uphill battle to stop slips. US research indicates 50% of accidents are caused by inadequate wet slip-resistance of the floor.
Slips-and-falls are the biggest cause of accident, injury and insurance claim in most sectors. Each year in the UK:
- Over 300,000 people go to A&E after a slip, leading to 1.5m+ NHS bed days
- Claim costs exceed £1bn
- “Hidden”, uninsured costs add further billions (research of 100+ H&S leaders [link] put the uninsured costs as 10-12X the insurance claim cost for every accident)
Floors don’t need to be slip-resistant when wet everywhere. But, if you have a floor that is slippery-when wet in an area that gets routinely wet or contaminated, you will almost certainly suffer from slips. If you’d like some guidance on which areas in a building need which level of slip safety, see our Specification diagnostic tool here.
The good news is: you can stop slips-and-falls. Here are a selection of outcomes that we’re privileged to share from our clients:
You do have a legal duty to keep your floors safe: “So far as is reasonably practicable, every floor in a workplace and the surface of every traffic route in a workplace shall be kept free from obstructions and from any article or substance which may cause a person to slip, trip or fall.” (Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992).
Anti-slip treatments that are professionally specified, applied and then maintained really do work. Take this one example from a CBRE shopping centre. Even on a shiny, smooth terrazzo floor on a slope inside the main entrance, the right anti-slip floor treatment succeeded in eliminating slip-and-fall accidents for over a year.
When is the right time to do an anti-slip floor treatment?
If you think you might need anti-slip treatment, then you almost certainly do. Few people research this topic out of hypothetical interest – the odds are that if you’re on this page, you have a floor surface of some kind that you know gets wet and you feel is too slippery.
No doubt you want to do your utmost, morally, to keep your colleagues and customers safe. That’s certainly why we are in business. From a legal perspective, too, if you are aware of a potential issue but do not act upon it, that can leave you in a worse position.
Of course, you could look to do something more temporary. For example, you might put out some extra yellow signs, or lay some temporary matting.
In a high-profile case after a death in a Co-Op store in Truro, Cornwall Council summed up that:
"This case demonstrated the importance of slip risks being adequately controlled. It should serve a warning… that signage alone is not an adequate control. Proactive measures must be taken to either prevent floors becoming slippery or precluding public access."
So, if you can guarantee to prevent people walking on slippery-when-wet floors, that’s great as an interim measure. Most floors, though, need to be stepped upon, so a holistic, long-term solution like an anti-slip floor treatment is recommended.
As for when you should look to act. As with most things in life, the best time to act was yesterday; the next best time is today.
Why don't you call us now to see how we can support you in making your buildings safe, even-when-wet?
Don't delay - let's get your anti-slip treatment arranged
Professional teams, nationwide coverage, fast turnaround - proven results
How do I know what type of anti-slip solution I need?
Perhaps the biggest issue companies face when trying to solve slip-and-fall issues is a misconception about how easy this will be. Google searches may bring up magic panacea products but as you’ll appreciate, an anti-slip floor treatment is like many things in life: first, you get what you pay for, second, what you can do yourself is not the same as what a professional can do for you.
Consider this, too, what is more valuable in the event of a claim? “We bought this product from e-bay that said it was an anti-slip floor treatment” or “we got a reputable company, recommended by our insurance company. They did a thorough deep clean, treated the floor, then provided a certificate of compliance after a pendulum slip test.” Which do you think is most useful?
To be effective, you need to choose the right treatment for the right floor type, area, footfall type and volume. You also need to prepare the floor correctly, typically with a heavy-duty deep clean. This is one reason DIY solutions are typically doomed to failure – there’s no way to truly know if they have been effective.
You must ensure that the treatment has been effective through pendulum slip testing. The is the HSE’s preferred slip test method. There are many ineffective DIY treatments and indeed service providers that aren’t skilled enough to do this kind of specialist work correctly. Whether a floor is slippery-when-wet or not is fact, based on the pendulum slip test results.
Unfortunately, there are many companies offering panaceas such as “anti-slip treatments that last forever”, “anti-slip treatments that require no ongoing maintenance” or “anti-slip treatments that work on any floor type”. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Our promise to you is that we will give you the best, realistic advice, source the best solution for you, and back this up with science and legal knowledge.
Getting independent, specialist advice in this area allows you to understand the full range of options available to you. Anti-slip floor treatments can be used on all floor surface types including:
- Anti-slip floor treatment for tiles
- Anti-slip floor treatment for terrazzo
- Anti-slip floor treatment for stone
- Anti-slip floor treatment for vinyl
- Anti-slip floor treatment for wood
- Anti-slip floor treatment for decking
- Anti-slip floor treatment for bath tubs
- Anti-slip floor treatment for shower trays
- Anti-slip floor treatment for steps and stairs
There are three main methods of treating floors:
- Chemical anti-slip floor treatment
- Coating anti-slip floor treatment
- Abrasion anti-slip floor treatment
…each of which has pros and cons depending on your unique situation and requirements.
It’s even now possible to anti-slip treat shiny tiled and stone floor surfaces to make them safe whilst retaining shine. Take this IHG hotel, for example: you wouldn’t even know, visually, that the beautiful marble floors had been treated to be safe-when-wet:
Anti-slip floor treatments can be a long-term solution to your floor safety issues, but this does require the correct information, expert application and ongoing maintenance. Our founder, Christian Harris, has seen installations working well for nearly 10 years. But equally, many treatments can be totally ineffective at all, or may only last a matter of months.
Be aware of claims of years’ durability; be aware of claims of specific products being required to maintain the floor.
Our approach is to work with you on a long-term partnership basis, not “just” doing an anti-slip treatment service up-front, but supporting you for the lifecycle of the floor to ensure sustainable slip resistance.
Why should I trust Slip Safety Services with my anti-slip floor treatment?
We partner with and are recommended by leading insurers, brokers, lawyers, floor suppliers, managing agents and other stakeholders. Safety is not an area to leave to chance. We are trusted by the organisations that you trust to give you the right support, advice, and cover you financially if the worst happens. We are proud to say that no other anti-slip treatment service provider can say the same.
Our service is often specified by architects, floor suppliers and leading corporate brands as part of construction or refurbishment projects. Even insurance companies will sometimes explicitly specify that our solutions must be used. In one example, a college had suffered huge claim costs over many years. Its insurer stipulated that unless they used us to do anti-slip floor treatment service work in their 11x entrances, their insurance premium would almost double!
Whilst many service providers are wedded to the old-fashioned acid-based products they use – mostly because they make them in-house –, we are independent of any supplier so can source the latest and best anti-slip floor treatment technology for you from around the globe.
We’ve supported all sizes and scopes of clients: from multinationals and FTSE 100s, to independent hotels and shops. From 10,000m2 train stations to 1.5m2 outside Buckingham Palace’s gift shop. We are big enough to work across the UK and support national contracts, but small enough to care.
Our long history of happy clients (we hope!) speaks for itself. It’s very easy to put up logos on your website and hope for the best – many suppliers in our world do this (and how do we know? Because they’re using our clients’ logos!). So don’t blindly assume our, or anyone else’s logo list: ask us and we’d be glad to introduce you to any number of clients
Our mission is to reduce the global number of slip-and-fall accidents by 500,000+ per year. We’d love to partner with you to achieve this.
Call us now
To discuss your requirements and how we can support you
Here’s why you don’t want your building to be the site of a “slip story”
Slips-and-falls affect millions of people around the world each year, ruining lives and livelihoods. You almost certainly know someone that has slipped and has their own "slip story"...
Let’s hope for that person, it wasn’t as serious as:
- Stanley May's death, mentioned above, in a Co-Op Store
- The hotel chef who suffered significant burns to his arms when he slipped and fell into a deep fat fryer (see image)
- Hilary Clinton, who slipped over in a hotel bath tub in India, fracturing her arm
- A close friend of our founder, Christian Harris, who slipped and fell in a playground when heavily pregnant, leading to multiple surgeries to heal her ankle (see a video of Christian discussing this, here)
- The hospital worker who suffered an amputation as a result of two slips at work
- The pregnant lady who slipped and fell in a hotel spa when pregnant and whose daughter was born with learning difficulties (liability is unknown on this one, but a case is ongoing)
- Joe Biden, who - in the run-up to becoming President - slipped, fell and broke his ankle whilst playing with his dogs
Undoubtedly, you’d prefer that your building doesn’t become the site of a “slip story”.
Your reputation is your biggest asset; one you want to protect at all costs.
The benefits of getting an anti-slip floor treatment right
A proven anti-slip floor treatment will give you a long-term, sustainable solution to protect your staff and customers. Further, it will mitigate rises in insurance premiums and, overall, lower your costs.
But straight away, you’ll have the scientifically-proven certainty that your building is safer. As soon as your floor goes back into use, you will be able to sleep more easily at night knowing that you’ve measurably reduced risk.
What to do now – call us to learn more or book a team to help
We have highly-trained, specialist teams across the UK ready to help you to make your floors safter by applying the perfect anti-slip floor treatment for you.
Getting this done is easy: simply call us now on 0203 355 5018 and we can arrange for a quotation.
Prices depend on a few factors, but typically start around £20 per m2.
Why a professional anti-slip floor treatment service could be right for you – to leave you feeling safer
Summing up, an anti-slip floor treatment is a great way to measurably reduce risk and protect your staff, customers and bottom line.
But it’s not “just” about that. Our work delivering treatments like this is all about making people feel safer: we want to make you feel safer because you know you’ve engaged a professional to validate the efficacy of the treatment. In turn, your staff and customers will feel safer because you’ve clearly made the right choice to their benefit.
We are specialists in anti-slip floor treatments and we'd love to help you make your floors safer.
Book your anti-slip floor treatment now
Our teams are ready to serve you, nationwide
Request a Callback
Have a question? Drop us a line and we'll get straight back to you